I don’t know about you, but after all that heavy food during the holidays, I was really needing something light and fresh, and these tacos really hit the spot.
Also when I say “heavy food”, what I really mean is I ate (and drank) my weight in almond roca, queso dip, cookies, mashed potatoes, wine, stuffing…pretty much every food you might see during the holiday season, I consumed. But isn’t that what New Year’s resolutions are for?! Errr…
Honestly, the shrimp is delicious, but what really made this for me was the slaw. It was crisp and refreshing and had the perfect amount of kick to it. I have already used it on fish tacos too — it’s awesome.
For the tacos:
- 20 medium prawns, peeled and deveined
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 corn or flour tortillas
- Toppings: Sliced avocado/guacamole/salsa, if desired
For the slaw:
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 small head green cabbage, shredded (about 2 cups)– if you want to make it easier on yourself, just buy a bag of coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup corn kernels
- Cilantro and chopped scallion, if you’re into that sort of thing. Which I’m not.
In a bowl whisk together olive oil, garlic, cumin, salt and cayenne pepper. Add in shrimp and toss to coat completely. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes to give the flavors a chance to marry.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream, lime juice, cayenne, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add the cabbage and corn and toss to coat. Let sit, tossing occasionally, for 10 minutes.
Cook shrimp in a skillet on medium heat until pink and cooked through, about 5 minutes.